Grand advice
After ending the week buying the third car seat and third high chair , I thought I’d write a practical blog about baby items that I didn’t really need to buy and hopefully save some expectant parents some pennies.
Whilst pregnant I would find myself staring at people walking past with gorgeous proms. At around 26 weeks pregnant I settled for the egg in quantum grey complete with lie down section, stroller, fur insert, footmuff, car seat and matching bag. It cost nearly £1000 (a grand), I justified the price because it would last until our baby was 5. Being superstitious I arranged to leave it at my dads but when the 4 boxes arrived I just couldn’t help myself I had to have a go. I hurried dave to put it together and I gushingly pushed it up and down the hall with a teddy in the place of where our new born would soon lie.
It was mini break to Gibraltar the made us go and buy a cheap lightweight buggy as we didn’t want the beautiful expensive egg getting damaged and we also needed a car seat that could be fixed with just a seatbelt for taxi purposes. The buggy with all the extras that the egg had together with a charity shop bag cost no more than £150. Since making this purchase I wouldn’t say we have used the buggy more but it it certainly more convenient than the pram. The buggy would have done us fine if we hadn’t have bought the pram. The compact design allows for a easier transition with using other cars such as traveling in taxis or family members as well as being quicker to assemble for those flying visits to the shop.
I was also unaware that the new born carry car seat is height and weight dependant , at just over 9 months old and weighing about 24lbs we have just bought Audrey a 360 spin car seat that will last until she’s 4 and can be used from birth. Having this from the start would have saved straining our backs getting her out of the car seat from the car, she’s too heavy to be lifted in her baby carrier now anyway.
Audrey was a very hungry baby and we bought a John Lewis high chair when she was just 4 months to start weaning, granted it was second hand but the soft cushioning makes it a nightmare to keep clean and a £10 alternative is a better solution, wipeable and her leg positioning means she can sit under the table comfortably. Having grandparents that live away from us buying a third fold up seat attachable chair allows Audrey to join the family meal times at their house and it is easy to store away.
I don’t feel bad in saying that I think we have only bought Audrey 1 or 2 brand new toys. It’s not because we can’t afford new toys, I just don’t see the point. Friends and family are really generous with buying her toys and passing things down from their own children. I also refuse to pay for the box because that’s what you mainly pay for with a new toy . I love a rummage around a charity shop, I like the idea of the story behind each played with toy plus we want to teach Audrey the value of her items and when she is big enough she can choose her toys to go to the charity shop for other children to play with. There are some real bargains to be had as well as helping local charities, a quick wipe down or a throw in the machine and most are as good as new.
I do wish I knew what I really needed to buy and I I definitely could have saved some money. Who has a child aged 5 in a pram anyway? Although we did always want a brand new all singing all dancing pram so we probably would have bought this anyway, it made the pregnancy feel real. Audrey has grew out of so many toys already I’m glad I quickly learned not to buy them all brand new.
No comments:
Post a Comment