Knowledge is power and being on my second degree I feel like I’m the eternal student. Wanting to be enthusiastic about pregnancy I signed up for a array of anti natal workshops, little did I know what I would gain would be priceless.
I just love to learn and I’m definitely a ‘why’ kind of girl however, I think I con be stubborn and rigid with my opinions. I couldn’t understand why I would go through labour drug free when I could have a cocktail of drugs which meant I didn’t feel a thing. I longed for any kind of cocktail during pregnancy, so a pain free labour sounded perfect.
I was very unimpressed with my go Midwife, with her attitude to men and her disappointment that my chosen hospital for birth wasn’t our local one, meant we were definitely not going to be best friends. It was at a local expectant parent event, attended for the free goodie bag, that we found a alternative. Still NHS funded, these Midwife’s came to your home for all appointments providing more of a person centred approach, we didn’t really have much to lose.
This is how we were introduced to hypnobirthing. With no idea what it was we eagerly signed up and attended the two weekend class. The mis-named (in my opinion) course detailed and practiced how natural labour is and how the woman’s body could cope. While we sat uncomfortably practicing positive affirmations and gentle touches I immaturely giggled and imagined how annoyed I would be with dave gently tickling my arms while in labour.
Over the course of the workshop each one of the drugs was explained and things started to get serious and maybe hynobirthing was going to be a good viable option. By the end of the workshop both the visualisation and seeing the techniques of hypnobirthing put into practice with birthing videos left me in tears.
On a family members recommendation we also attended another anti natal weekend workshop, this one came with a hefty pricetag. We ended this workshop feeling slightly short changed and annoyed with ourselves as the information was pretty much the same as the hypnobirthing class as well as other basics such as changing nappies and how natural breastfeeding is. We were kind of forced into creating a WhatsApp group so we could keep in touch but I felt a little out of place and awkward.
Forgetting the weekend of sitting In a cold hall with nothing but Jaffa cakes on offer the money has been worth it over and over. The WhatsApp group allowed us to realise what we had in common was actually our pregnancies. Over the next coming weeks I enjoyed sharing stories about our latest baby purchase, aches and pains , worries and fears and waiting in anticipation for the news of a little arrival, followed by the juicy labour story. This started to feel like a family. Born around 8 weeks apart all 8 of us had 8 perfect little girls this now made the group that little extra special and created a unbreakable bond of understanding, motherhood, togetherness and friendships. The stories we’ve shared and the advice we’ve given I’m sure would make a great read in itself. I love seeing pictures of the girls grow and develop and our coffee catch up of carefree pram manoeuvring , we definitely fill every silent minute.
I feel proud that I was indeed correct in saying knowledge is power. Attending these courses for black and white reasons helped me to create a rainbow of colour that has helped shaped the past year from labour to lifelong friendships.
No comments:
Post a Comment