Saturday, 14 July 2018

Double Trouble

If you are asked if you wanted twins what with you honestly say? The ideal is lovely, heavenly babies in matching clothes skipping to school hand-in-hand. My eggs transfer day came and the clinic called me to double check whether i was ready to go ahead and to complete consent with my egg defrost. In the conversation they dropped the bombshell, had we thought of using the final two eggs in one transfer. Yes it was today I had to make that decision within one hour because the eggs had to be defrosted in time for later that day. I decided to go to my EU lecture as normal to take my mind off things and me and Dave had the conversation in the car about a double egg transfer. With not much logic we decided to go ahead and use our last two.

As expected the transfer was difficult and painful. The doctor needed more assistance and sort to find a senior doctor for help, upon her arrival she asked why I was going for and double act transfer. I was in much pain at this point and was confused as to why I was offered it if it wasn't a good idea. She was concerned that if both eggs took that I would suffer in pregnancy and labour with my disability. The success rate of successfully carrying twins for anybody is low and in IVF its best not to take risks. I was asked to consider refreezing the second egg again however I initially thought about refreezing food and how it takes something away so in that split second I refused and asked them to continue with the double transfer.

My head was in a bit of a muddle, not only with the pain of the transfer being poked and prodded for nearly an hour for which should only be a five with it treatment but also had I in fact  made the right decision about the double egg transfer. All we could do is wait for our pregnancy test in 10 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment