Friday, 12 October 2018

The greatest gift


We were spoilt with gifts for Audrey both at my baby shower and when she was born and we appreciated every single one. Here’s our top 5 greatest gifts that you may not think of for new parents to be.

  1. Gift cards

Ordinarily I might of considered a gift card as a little thoughtless but we received a generous amount of supermarket and pharmacy type shops gift cards. This allowed us to the unexpected items we needed once Audrey was born such as dummy’s, next size nappies, bigger vests and even treat myself to some new waterproof mascara, much needed for the hormones pregnancy brings.

  1. Bathroom products and nipple cream.

It was lovely to get a hot shower towards the end of my pregnancy to ease my aches and pains, even better with a luxury shower gel that had been bought for me. 

Every evening I would enjoy a bump massage before bed with a soothing Mum to be oil, something I wouldn’t have bought for myself. Leaving me stretch mark free!

Initially breastfeeding was really painful and I giggled when I received nipple cream as part of a baby shower gift but I was soon frantically scrambling around for it when I got home from the hospital with Audrey.

  1. Home made and hand me down.

We had a few homemade gifts such as blankets, booties, cardigans and wall art signs and no matter what the cost , the fact people had took the time to make something for our baby was the most heart warming feeling that money could never buy.

As explained in grand advice (see previous blog) when friends and family give you toys and clothes that their own children and grandchildren have played with or worn it makes that gift just a tiny bit more special. 

I kept my own baby blanket that my mum had made for me when I was a baby and it was important to me that Audrey used it when she was born, and she did!

  1. Time and space.

Time for two reasons. First I understand that you can’t go to someone’s house and start poking around but the close friends and family who came to visit and would just come in and put the kettle on or wash the dishes left in the sink without asking or fussing was massively helpful and appreciated. 

The second reason I picked time together with space is that friends and family were extremely respectful that although they were all excited to meet Audrey we too wanted our own time as a new family in our home, sometimes we would say no to having visitors and we would tell them when we were ready. Lastly as a add on it was also appreciated when vistors were on time and didn’t overstay their welcome (new parents don’t be afraid to ask visitors to leave, they will understand).

  1. FOOD 

The greatest gift of all! Having a new baby to look after, preparing any type of meal hot or cold can be difficult and in the first few weeks it was definitely grab and go foods for us. For both parents it is vital to eat properly to ensure your energy levels and sanity remain. From the friends and family that brought cake, biscuits and even a pint of milk to those who went that extra mile to plate up extra dinners, bring a picnic lunch, offer a takeaway or bring a frozen meal, you would never know how much we appreciated it. Even more so when they held Audrey to eat a hot meal!! 

Now Audrey is 10 months old we still massively appreciate any type of food offering (until she’s 18), it doesn’t get any easier to prepare and eat a hot meal. I will definitely add to the cute outfits I buy for any of my expectant friends in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment